Coffee StainsTo remove a coffee stain from fabric or a rug, try one of these methods:
- Dip a white cloth into a beaten egg yolk and rub the yolk into the stain. Then rinse with clear water.
- Work denatured alcohol into the stain, then rinse with water.
- Apply a solution of 1/2 teaspoon mild detergent in a pint of water. Blot with a white towel. If the stain remains, apply a 50-50 solution of water and white vinegar and blot.
Mop with a mild detergent and wait awhile to allow it to penetrate the ground-in dirt.
Don't mix cleaning products like ammonia and bleach. They can be toxic.
Automatic-dishwasher detergent works well on refrigerators, stoves, floors, walls and glass.
- Dissolve 1/4 cup in one gallon of very hot water.
- Wipe with a dry cloth afterward.
- Wear rubber gloves and test first to make sure that what you're cleaning is colorfast.
- Use the bartender's method for speedy stemware washing. Holding the base, pump the glass vigorously in very hot sudsy water, then quickly put it in hot clear water (cooler water may shatter it) Dry upside down on a cotton towel.
- For extra-shiny, streakless glasses, add a little vinegar or borax to the final rinse water.
- If glasses have hard-water stains, rub them with a scouring pad dipped in vinegar.
- Never use hot water, harsh soaps, ammonia or washing soda on silver or gold-rimmed glasses.
- A well-lathered shaving brush cleans deeply etched or hobnailed glass especially well.
- If eggs have dried on your patterned glass tableware, rub off the residue with a slice of lemon.
- If you've ever switched on the garbage disposal instead of the kitchen light, mark the switch with a dab of red nail polish - anything to stop that grating noise.
- If your dishwasher drains through your garbage disposal, switch it on when the hot soapy water is running through is so it gets a good cleaning.
Use a pencil eraser on black heel marks.
Run a cup of white vinegar through the entire dishwashing cycle in an empty dishwasher to remove all soap film.
- A little vanilla poured on a piece of cotton and placed in the refrigerator will eliminate odors.
- After cleaning the refrigerator add a dash of lemon extract to the rinse water for a fresh scent.
Drop the twist tie in the bottom of any can or basket before you put the liner in. When you're ready to empty it, the tie is handy.